Whatever you are doing right now cannot be more important than making these waffles. I repeat, not more important. Do you like doughnuts? Yes? How about waffles? Plus ice cream? And what about the scintillating combo that is VANILLA + CHOCOLATE?
...Are you in the kitchen yet with the mixer out? Good, good.
Okay. Even if you aren't - get this on your weekend brunch menu asap and don't be surprised if friends and family are drawn to your table of sweet breakfast goodness with these vanilla and chocolate ice cream doughnut waffles! That's right - it's a waffle recipe adapted from a doughnut recipe, made in a waffle iron, that incorporates melted vanilla ice cream in the batter. And yes, yes these lovely beauties as pictured were even made gluten-free. BAM.
Without further adieu, check your cupboards and get ready for the awesome.
VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DOUGHNUT WAFFLES
(GLUTEN-FREE VERSION // Makes 2 batches of waffle for a standard waffle iron as pictured // Loosely adapted from this great vanilla doughnut waffle iron recipe here at Sweet Treats)
- 6 tbsp butter, melted - room temp when mixed
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (or all-purpose if making non-gluten-free)
- 1 tsp xantham gum (for gluten-free batter only)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup melted vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 and 1/3 cup milk (we used almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp cinnamon, set aside
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, set aside
- 2-3 tsp of cocoa powder, set aside
- Powdered sugar and raspberries (optional)
- You're going to be making a base batter then splitting it in half so be sure to have two mixing bowls out. To begin, use a whisk to combine all the ingredients from vanilla extract and above (setting aside the vanilla extract + cinnamon and everything else below that on the list).
- When this batter is ready, divide the dough in half. Each bowl of dough now should bake up to one waffle in a standard waffle iron.
- To craft the Vanilla batter, add the extra vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- In the other bowl, craft your Chocolate batter by simply adding the cocoa and chocolate chips.
- Cook each waffle in the waffle iron and serve stacked with a dusting of powdered sugar and some fresh berries.
And that's the yummy. On the serving front, you could also turn these into waffle ice cream sandwiches but that might just be too crazy good.