As you may have seen last week when I talked about some of the crazy things I've made, I enjoy creating gifts as unique as the person they are for. Such is the case with this DIY Instagram Scrub Cap. To me, it was a very personal and meaningful gift for my fabulous cousin Ashley (modeling it above) who is beginning Dental Hygiene school this fall.
I'm so proud of her and I know how much she cherishes her Instagram photos and all the people in them. As she heads into this next chapter in her life, I figured this would be a great way to remind her we're all behind her on the journey. Granted this is purely for fun and probably totally unacceptable to use with patients or in a clinical environment, I imagine it's still great for keeping hair out of your face when you study.
And for you, though you may not have interest in a scrub cap, this technique can be applied to any clothing and/or gift. Why not an instagram apron? Or tea towel? Or messenger bag? Go for it, whatever your fabric offering of choice!
- A cotton scrub cap or your fabric piece to customize with photos
- 1 sheet of printable iron-on transfer paper
- An iron
- X-acto knife
- Ruler or straight
- A selection of saved Instagram photos
- Printer and way to print the photos mirrored/reversed
- Set up a one page document on your computer and arrange all your Instagram photos as small squares. When ready, reverse all the images by flipping them horizontally (or do this with your printer settings). You'll need them reversed so they transfer in the appropriate direction.
- Use an x-acto knife and a straight edge to cut up your mini pictures.
- Arrange on your cap or other fabric project and carefully iron each on, one by one, pressing hard for several minutes until completely transferred.
- Follow the instructions for care that come with your iron-on transfer paper and you're all set.
Happy memory wearing!