Slow Cooker Italian Fagioli
With all the craziness of our move going on, I think it's only best to remember we're going somewhere that feels like home. And there's nothing that feels like home more than a home cooked stew. Mamma mia, this is one heck of a great crock pot recipe. It originally began as a copycat Olive Garden recipe for Pasta e Fagioli that I featured on my previous blog, Living with Annie.
Though that recipe is great, Gus and I have tweaked it over the years. We removed the pasta - making it a great dish for any day of the week - and never looked back. Here's how to make a huge crock pot full of goodness. This hearty soup is perfect topped with one slice of mozzarella cheese which conveniently becomes stringy and amazing when served. It's also a cinch to freeze leftovers in small or large portions, easy to heat up in the stove or microwave.
- 2 regular cans of Beef Broth
- 2 cans of White Cannelini Beans, drained
- 2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 16oz jar of spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
- 1 lb of ground beef, browned - medium well
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 6 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mozzarella cheese slices (for serving, optional)
- Combine all of the above ingredients and throw them together into your slow cooker. Make sure to brown and grain your ground beef before adding to the crock pot.
- Set your slow cooker to low for 8-9 hours and serve when veggies are tender. You could do high for 5-6 hours and be good as well.
- Top your served bowls with one slice of mozzarella cheese each and allow to sit for approximately a minute. Then stir your cheese into the soup. The result is ooey gooey cheesy goodness and soup that makes your soul happy. Let the yummy begin!