Gluten-Free Oreo Brownie Cake Trifle
Okay, so whether you're gluten-free or not, this is one EASY, FUN, and strangely IMPRESSIVE dessert recipe. I whipped this together for a recent birthday potluck, knowing there'd be a gluten-free guest or two that'd have to skip birthday cake time.
This is a really easy go-to if you've got a trifle bowl and a few mixes on hand. Here's the recipe for both GF and wheat eaters (see notes). Please note, I doubled the recipe for the filling below so you'll have twice as much pictured and can do more layers than I had. If you like what's pictured, cut the filling ingredients by 50%.
GLUTEN FREE "OREO" BROWNIE CAKE TRIFLE
- One Box Devil's Food Cake Mix + Ingredients to prepare mix (eggs, etc.) per the box - For Gluten-Free, use the Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- One Box Brownie Mix + Ingredients to prepare mix (eggs, etc.) per the box - For Gluten-Free, use the Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Brownie Mix
- 14-16 crushed Gluten-Free Joe Joe's from Trader Joe's (for wheat eaters, you can use traditional Oreos)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 8oz tubs of french vanilla cool whip, thawed / not frozen
- 2 8oz packages of plain cream cheese, softened
- Bake your cake and brownies as each box recommends, then set aside to cool. Bake both in pans (no need for cupcake tin since you'll be cubing the cake shortly).
- Meanwhile, make your filling by mixing the cream cheese and sugar until well combined. Fold in Joe Joe's (or Oreos) and cool whip until well mixed. Throw in fridge to chill.
- Prepare your cake and brownie pans by cutting each into small 1" to .75" cubes.
- Place your first layer (I chose brownie) in the bottom of the trifle bowl, covering the bottom of the bowl but not stacking cubes.
- Top the brownie (or cake) first layer with a layer of the cream cheese mixture, smoothing the top with a knife.
- Place your next layer with the opposite (if you did brownies first, do cake next) - filling the cubes into one clear layer and not stacking.
- Top this layer with filling as well. Repeat as necessary, as your trifle bowl allows.
- Top with a filling layer and if you're so inclined, a few crushed Joe Joe's or Oreos on top.
- Chill until serving and enjoy the chocolatey goodness on three levels!