Ridiculously Easy and Delicious Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins that just so happen to be Gluten-Free
Oh man - I totally know the title of my post is really long but it's the best way to describe the above deliciousness: CAKE MIX BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING!
I've had a crazy hankering for blueberry muffins and Gus and I have been trying to be smart about how much we're eating out. This perfect storm created a Sunday brunch by us with the clever invention of these Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins.
So we both could enjoy them, I whipped up this recipe using the Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix and I gotta tell you- these muffins were about as tasty as any blueberry muffin I've ever had. It's just triple bonus level that they're easily made from a cake mix and gluten-free-able to boot. Ours are even dairy-free cause almond milk happened to be in our fridge. Take that allergies! You've been served... muffins.
Make these. Now. For dessert, breakfast, linner - whatever mealtime you're reading this in. No, seriously- here you go.
CAKE MIX BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
(Makes approximately 16 muffins)
- 1 pkg Yellow Cake Mix (we used Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Cake Mix)
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk (or almond milk to be dairy free)
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
- 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries
(For Streusel Topping / Optional)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts (optional, can sub almonds or omit also)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 325F for a dark or nonstick muffin pan. For shiny metal, use 350F.
- Set aside 2 tbsp of your pre-packaged muffin mix and coat blueberries with it (this will keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of muffin).
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients about the streusel section except your blueberries.
- Use a spatula to gently fold your blueberries into the batter.
- Use a standard measure, like a tbsp, to fill your muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping generously over the muffin tops.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes and remove when edges of the muffins are golden brown.
Then bask in the awesome revelation that muffins are really just cake in breakfast-clothing. It's okay- there's no shame in that.