Pineapple Rum Cake Mix Muffins
So last week, I shared our epically great Gluten-Free Blueberry Cake Mix Muffins. Today I offer you their tropical cousins: Pineapple Rum Cake Mix Muffins.
The base recipe is just about the same to take your ordinary cake mix (Gluten-Free or Regular) and whip up a batch of easy peasy super yummo muffins. The version we created were pretty plain (just topped with pineapple bits and brown sugar) but read the directions for my post-baking suggestions to kick these up a notch.
- 1 pkg Yellow Cake Mix (we used Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Cake Mix)
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk (or almond milk to be dairy free)
- 1/4 cup rum (optional, just use more milk if you want)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
- 1/2 cup of pureed pineapple (canned is fine)
- Pictured: Pineapple tidbits and a dash of brown sugar (one version)
- Streusel & Whipped Cream:
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts (optional, can sub almonds or omit also)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Spray whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 325F for a dark or nonstick muffin pan. For shiny metal, use 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients above the streusel section.
- Use a standard measure, like a tbsp, to fill your muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping generously over the muffin tops or go as pictured with sliced pineapple pieces and a dusting of brown sugar.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes and remove when edges of the muffins are golden brown.
- If you want to serve as dessert, top with whipped cream. Om nom nomity nom.
I imagine there's a lot of other ways to kick these up a bit. I'd even consider putting walnut pieces in the batter itself to give it more texture, like a hummingbird cake. These were great plain or with all this jazz, no matter how you slice it.