Carmelized Onion and Bacon Grilled Cheese
Oo, my oh my, what can't bacon + cheese + carmelized onions do when their powers combine? You saw recently that they worked their magic on a side of green beans. Today, we are going where vegetables can't follow- carbs-land, destination: grilled cheese. It's a bit of a hybrid of our classic grilled cheese- just kicked up by the power of pork.
These are simple, super yummy, can be gluten-free by subbing the bread, and perfect as dinner or mini-appetizers as pictured. Here's how you can bypass go and go straight to the yummy.
Ingredients (for 4 regular sized grilled cheeses):
- Bread of your choice (we used sliced sourdough bagettes as well as Udi's Gluten-free)
- Cheese of your choice, sliced (we used manchego and cheddar, combined)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 strips of bacon, partially cooked, cut into bits
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 clove of garlic
- Dash of cayenne, salt, and pepper
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- Carmelize your onions by cooking them on medium-low heat in your skillet of choice- we love our Cast Iron for this. Once the onions start to brown, add your partially cooked bacon and cook until both onions and bacon are fully browned and yummy.
- Combine the ingredients after the bacon in a ramekin or small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush one side of the sandwich bread and place face down on a warm skillet.
- Top the open piece of bread with cheese slices, add a hearty serving of the bacon + onion mixture, then throw the 2nd piece of bread on top. Coat this piece with the same butter/wine mixture. Flip after a few minutes or until the side you originally put down is a golden brown.
- Remove from skillet once the other side of the sandwich is also brown. Serve with soup or just devour with glee on its own. Can't go wrong here really.